Contributors

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Reflection on first week of class:

I think that it’s absolutely crazy that we are the only country that is really trying to help AIDS victims around the world. I don’t know whether these other countries are helping themselves first or if they are just being selfish. If other wealthy nations like England, France or China would donate as much as we do then we would be able to treat a lot more people and have more money to fund the finding of a cure and/or a possible vaccine. If we are going to be the only country that is trying to help then it seems a little useless, I’m not trying to sound cruel but if we could help out with problems we have in our country now instead of helping AIDS/HIV victims in other countries then we probably should, but if other countries also decide to chip in then we could help the AIDS/HIV victims.

Also when everyone in class was talking about how Americans only come together for sporting events that we care about like the Olympics, I was raising my hand but didn’t get the ball, I was trying to say that the world basketball championships are going on as we were speaking, in fact America was playing Lithuania at that very moment. They started Friday I believe. Basketball is arguably the second most popular sport in the country and the world cup of it is on T.V. I haven’t heard any one mention it, the games aren’t on big name networks like espn, they are mostly on NBA T.V which if you don’t have an above average cable package then you won’t get. The main reason a lot of people don’t know its going on is because we don’t have our big name players like Kobe Bryant, Lebron James, or Dwayne Wade playing in it, this is because of insurance and injury issues on their new contracts this season, they all would like to play but as we said in class American sports is more of city vs. city rather than America vs. other countries, which in my mind is more exciting.

4 comments:

  1. "I think that it’s absolutely crazy that we are the only country that is really trying to help AIDS victims around the world. I don’t know whether these other countries are helping themselves first or if they are just being selfish."

    Well, yes and no. While it is true that the US is the sole biggest donor, ad the hub of HIV/AIDS research, it is very important to keep in mind that the "rest of the world" have allied under "The Global Fund" and have committed 20.3 billion up to year 2015. Yes, this amount is very little compared to what US has committed, but it is something. I think you should take pride in your country for leading the way with its Global Health Program. But why is the US willing to participate in world health matters and not world sport matters? What is the fine line between them? Shouldn't it be more "exciting" to do things the other way?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutley take pride in my country for leading the way, but I'm getting annoyed that we've been leading and no one has come out to help or at least donate nearly as much as us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess the second part of that question is: Why is the US willing to participate in world health matters and not world sport matters?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure I'm understanding you. I take back what I said I'm just frustrated, it seems like we are leading but no one is following. Also I don't understand the last comment.

    ReplyDelete