Contributors

Friday, November 19, 2010

Week 13 Reflection

This reflection is on the question of if Montezuma really had a choice to make some sort of move against the Spaniards. When I first thought about and answered this question I realized my response was based on my bias. I am so used to thinking that a person always has a choice to do something or at least try to do something. Now when I look back at the question and try to put myself in Montezuma’s shoes, I realize that they believed so much that everything in their lives was predicted because they believed that everything that happens has happened before.

If Montezuma really did have a choice then I think he would have forced the Spaniards to leave. He had many chances but was so confused because the Spanish coming back never happened before and he started to think that it was the Toltec people. The thing is that “he knew” that there was a reason for the Spaniard arrival and was getting frustrated that no one foresaw it coming.

The way I tried to relate to Montezuma was thinking about how at one point everyone knew the Earth was flat and at the center of the universe. Then we knew the Earth was round, but still, the center of the universe. Then finally we found out and still believe today that the sun is the center of the solar system and we know this through scientific fact. Right now we know the universe goes on forever, what happens when we find an end?

1 comment:

  1. But there is an end! It's going to end in 2012! What are you talking about? :P

    Based on your reflection, you mention that the actions Montezuma took had a lot to do with his cultural beliefs/religion right? That his actions are based off predictions that tells him what will occur. Do you think that in life, it is risky to blind yourself and take actions based off predictions and beliefs just like Montezuma did?

    ReplyDelete