Contributors

Monday, November 29, 2010

Reflection - Week Fourteen

Well, not too much happened this week to report.  Other than the issue in Korea.

Scary stuff, that.  I really feel for the people, the innocent civilians stuck in the crossfire.  What motivates a person to rule a country like North Korea?  Moreover, I'm kinda concerned about the international response.  It's so... noncommittal! Especially with Japan.  Also, how can North Korea accuse South Korea of using civilian shields?!  The whole mess is shocking and horrifying, and the affected people are in my prayers as we head into a new week to see what is in store for us.

1 comment:

  1. While I do agree with you that this is a majorly significant issue in our world today, I think that there are some significant things that were overlooked or inaccurate in your comments.

    The main thing that I have a problem with is that you assert that the international response is so "noncommittal". I must argue the contrary. While the United States may not be acting to full capacity, that is not to say that other nations aren't acting. Look at China's response. They called for multilateral talks to help air any tension that may still exist between North and South Korea. To me this signifies a major change in the political sphere of Asia. China, who has acted out of self interest in the past, is looking outward (and defying it's staunch position on North Korea) to try and resolve this process diplomatically.

    Also, I must pose a question for you. What do you have to say about the United States using Iraqi civilian shields to protect themselves against militants in the Middle East? Is that just as shocking? Or are they simply defending themselves against the enemy?

    ReplyDelete