Contributors

Friday, December 3, 2010

Reflection: Week Fifteen


The end of the semester has finally arrived! As our world politics seminar comes to a close, I am left with conflicted emotions. While I am excited to launch into my group’s spring research thesis, I know I will miss the open discussion model offered in world politics. I have truly enjoyed the process of sorting out and grappling with political issues out loud with my classmates, Gunperi, and Professor Jackson. Lively debate always presents me with an opportunity to deepen my understanding of the complexity of international affairs.

My group and topic choice for the spring research thesis was directly affected by my positive experience with lively debate in world politics this semester. In fact, I decided to work with Christian, Toby, and Gabe because of the breadth of opinions represented in the group. Take Christian for example. While Christian and I certainly hold divergent opinions on important political issues, we have a similar appreciation of pragmatic analysis. I am truly looking forward to lively discussions on the implications of using private military companies as non-state actors in modern warfare.

While I will miss discussions in world politics, I am ready to move on to analyzing both theory and application for a single issue. So if you have any interesting articles or professional journals on PMCs or the evolving state of 21st century warfare, send it my way!

1 comment:

  1. I too will miss the open discussion method of world politics! I think that discussing things out loud helps me to understand my own thought process better and I also get to hear what the classmates around me are thinking as well. There is nothing like a lively debate to spice up learning a new international theory. I was always surprised to hear thing that some of my classmates could think of. I will miss it!

    Your spring research topic sounds riveting. I will be interested to see what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete