Contributors

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Reflection of Week two:

This past Saturday we went to the D.C United game. I was really looking forward to this because I’ve played soccer my whole life, it’s one of my favorite sports, I have never been to a professional soccer/football game in America or the rest of the world and we’ve just finished reading Foers book “How soccer Explains the World”. Even though I’ve heard that American professional soccer is nowhere near as exciting as European or South American I was looking forward to experience the atmosphere of the sport. From across the stadium the atmosphere looked just like the games in Europe, with the people waving the teams flags, singing songs that if you don’t know what they’re singing it’s impossible to understand and the jumping up in down in unison.

I was glad to see that there weren’t any Allen Garrisons running through the crowd beating Columbus fans or fans shouting ethnic slurs to people of Ohio (which would be pretty hard to come up with). It was easy to see that most people at the game were treating it as any other sporting event in America, just sitting back watching the game, standing up when we had a chance to score or yelling at the referee rather than shouting racial slurs to the other fans or team. I guess it’s hard to shout those at each other because of what makes this country great, our diversity. I saw all different kinds of people who I’m sure support many kinds of religions wearing D.C United shirts, who were all United under their team rather than a race, religion or region.

No comments:

Post a Comment