Contributors

Monday, September 6, 2010

Voting in November: "To those whom much is given, much is expected"

So it is that time of year again! The time when political signs start popping up and the Washington Post starts furiously calculating electoral math. I know I don’t have to remind any of the people on my World Politics floor how pivotal this general election season will be for our country. So why am I posted this reminder on our world politics blog?

Well if the study of international affairs and politics teaches us anything, it is that the world contains a vast array of government structures with varying levels of democratic participation. I am risking a cliché here when I say that as U.S. citizens we have been given the incredible gift of a stable and functioning democracy. The beauty of the U.S. democracy lies in that after a general or national election, we can go to bed knowing that the next day our neighbors won’t be running through the streets rioting against the winning party. Because of our privilege, we take this for granted.

I know many people consider local politics a waste of time and not worth the burden of absentee voting, but there is an important principle behind it. Even if you don’t particularly care about traffic congestion on your interstate or where to build a trash incinerator, you have been asked to participate in these decisions. Don’t waste this. People around the world have died to gain this right to self-determination.

So I want to challenge every one on our floor to vote not just in the general but the primaries as well. I know Maryland’s primaries have voting these two weeks. I actually did early voting in my hometown this morning. Come November the SPA kids will be actively encouraging students on campus to vote absentee for their state’s elections. “Lett’s” show them that SIS students, especially Jackson’s World Politics UC, take our responsibilities seriously!

I know it’s a burden to navigate the absentee voting process, so I posted some links that might make it a bit easier.

For dates of primaries and generals by state (of course the general is NOVEMBER 2nd):

http://www.evoter.com/2010-national-election-calendar-by-state-evoter

Voting absentee is made easy for you, go on your states website:

i.e. http://www.elections.state.md.us/voting/absentee.html

for all those Maryland voters!

Be informed on the national impact of your choices:

http://www.nytimes.com/pages/politics/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment