Contributors

Monday, September 20, 2010

Reflection - Week Four

Might I say I just love living in DC?


The trip to the State Department was really interesting and opened up a new possibility for a career path for me.  I like taking these trips because I'm one of those people who really isn't sure what she wants to do yet, and this is like "career day" in high school but BETTER.  The speaker was really interesting and I could see myself in that position in the future, maybe.


As cool as going to the State Department was, it wasn't the coolest part of my week.  As you probably know, my boyfriend is Jewish and this weekend was Yom Kippur.  We went to Kol Nidrei services (for those of you who, like I was, are unfamiliar - Kol Nidrei services are the services the night beginning Yom Kippur.) and at the end of the fascinating service in a beautiful synagogue, we walk to the front to talk to the rabbi.  As we are in line, we see a guy with an earpiece who is clearly armed.  Ari asked aloud who he was protecting and this lady comes up behind us and says "that's the bodyguard."


"The bodyguard for who?" Ari asked.


"That's the ambassador." the woman replies.


We jump out of line.  We walk over and introduce ourselves to Michael Orrin himself, the ambassador of Israel.  He said it's great we're at American, and said to stay in international relations.  "It's a great field with so many exciting possibilities," he said.  Finally, Ari asked him to sign something for us so we could prove for our leadership gateway class that we met him and he explained (to Ari's embarrassment and my great interest) that he can't sign on the holiday but why don't we come down to his embassy sometime this week to get it signed?  We were two starstruck kids just about then, and said we would make the arrangements.  We are going sometime this week for the signature and probably a tour of the embassy. 


If I haven't already said it enough, I love living here.

No comments:

Post a Comment