Contributors

Friday, October 8, 2010

Reflection: Week Seven

I was surprised by the challenge presented by the complexities of the auto-manufacturing debate simulation this Thursday. I am admittedly not very well versed in economics, especially concerning auto-manufacturing. So I enjoyed the opportunity to research something completely outside my usual political interests. After studying the issues involved in this domestic v. foreign auto-manufacturing debate, the issue’s relevance to IR theory became increasingly apparent to me. Before participating in this simulation, I would have never made this connection.

At the end of the simulation, the professor standing in as president (I am blanking on his name even though he was fantastic) made a comment that really resonated with me. He mentioned that sometimes students become frustrated with studying strictly IR theory at the beginning of their SIS major because they come in wanting to know the answers to the War in Afghanistan, the economic crisis, and global warming immediately. However, he explained, given that theory is the underlying theme seen throughout all these political issues, a complex understanding of different IR theories is essential to our progress as IR students. As a pragmatist that could study case studies and facts all day, I considered this a really helpful reminder.

Needless to say, I am very excited to move into the next section of World Politics that deals with application of IR theory. However, the recent simulation acted as an important reminder of the omnipresence of IR theory in every nook and cranny of our political discussions.

1 comment: